Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Plants and Capitalism



First post in a long time.

So about two months ago I decided to start growing basic herbs at home and stop buying them from the supermarket.. silly idea. I opened the refrigerator a couple of months ago to find tarragon, sage, and rosemary in plastic containers labeled "FRESH." It’s a silly idea to think that we have everything packaged, we don’t know where it comes from, (many foods for the most part) and we don’t realize that it is something we can grow ourselves so easily! But no, we have lost such idea! I just want to have everything growing at home.

I took the sage that was in the plastic container and started a little hydroponics experiment and it has worked! The sage has really long roots, it’s beautiful. My basil has grown like mad and I’ve transferred the plants to 4 other containers to share with my brother, neighbors and so on. My thyme is slacking a little and the rosemary is on its way. They sit by my window happy to receive so much sun every day.

The story of how I got my rosemary, thyme and basil is pretty funny. I was in Walmart of all places and I went to the garden section, where there were just Christmas toys. I asked the people if they had seeds and they said no they don’t during this season. But I found a closed box that said grow your own herbs kit, I opened the kit and took the seeds. When we got to the cash register, because my dad insisted on paying, they weren’t in the system. I thought I was going to get busted, but we just got them for really cheap.

One may think that there is no way during this time and age to be sustainable, but there are ways to start. One starts by changing the smallest thing, it might be, not using plastic bags anymore. I really do believe every little thing one does makes a difference, but it is also important to think big. Get the little things down and organized and then start organizing larger projects that can bring change to a community or one person.

My parents, when they go to the supermarket bring their reusable bags and reuse the same plastic bags to put the loose mushrooms and lettuce so they don't have to take a new plastic bag from the dispenser each time.

I HATE FAIRWAY and every store for that matter. I know the answer to this, but why not have everything organic and natural in the store? It’s so counterproductive. Really, a plastic wrapped cucumber????!!! I thought who would buy that and sadly I saw a middle aged woman look at it say hmm and put it in her basket. Why? What went through her head? I don't know. Maybe, oh it must be cleaner, because it’s packaged in plastic, must be clean!! What has happened to people? Today I stumbled upon Infoshop news and it says "Kill Capitalism before it Kills you." Right on! But sadly capitalism has already brainwashed so many people and killed them. But we can't give up!

Relating back to plants and being sustainable, it’s important that we realize that at the moment in NYC and in many parts of the world we are unsustainable in what we have to be most worried about for our survival which is, food. Every community should have a community garden. Surprisingly, the English regents had a passage about this!! That’s what schools should be focusing on, how we help our community and actually do something productive during that time and not just train us like machines in a reality that isn't REAL!!!!

Let’s reduce our footprint as much as possible, stop consuming! We really don't need much! Just food!! Let’s start gardening. Expand our indoor gardens to the streets of NYC

No comments:

Post a Comment